Senior Medical Physicist
The Hampton University Proton Therapy Institute (HUPTI) is a non-profit cancer treatment center located in Hampton, Virginia that specializes in proton therapy. HUPTI is recruiting an outstanding Senior Medical Physicist to join our team.
HUPTI is the nation’s 8th proton therapy facility and the largest freestanding proton clinic in the world. The state-of-the-art treatment and research center has four gantry rooms and one fixed beam room. HUPTI has been treating prostate, brain, lung, pediatric, head and neck, breast, CNS and other cancers since August 2010. HUPTI uses IBA’s Proteus 235 proton therapy delivery system, VeriSuite for IGRT, Mosaiq Oncology Information System (Elektra), Eclipse Proton Treatment Planning system (Varian) and 4D-PET/CT for simulation (Philips).
HUPTI’s Proteus 235 system is equipped with IBA’s universal nozzles. We are using Uniform Scanning, Double Scattering, and Pencil Beam Scanning treatment delivery techniques in our treatment rooms.
HUPTI Medical Physicists report to the Executive Director. Physics staff must be accountable for the ethical, legal, and professional responsibilities related to the HUPTI medical physics practice. This includes maintaining confidentiality of all work information.
- Ensure optimal care/treatment to patient population
- Work with other physics staff and perform general medical physics duties pertaining to operating a proton radiotherapy clinic
- Perform measurements or other evaluations as necessary to ensure accurate dose delivery for (proton radiotherapy) treatments
- Participate in commissioning and acceptance testing of all proton therapy equipment
- Verify proper operation and safety of all machines and sources producing radiation in accordance with established guidelines and protocols
- Assist with and perform (Varian Eclipse) computer treatment planning as needed
- Consult with physicians and clinical team regarding treatment planning
- Develop, maintain and support proton radiotherapy and radiosurgery quality assurance programs
- Uphold, maintain, and establish adequate protocols to ensure accurate patient dosimetry
- Conduct and participate in departmental research and development projects
- Use independent judgment and apply learned methodologies according to established policy and procedures
- Maintain a safe environment for patients, personnel, and visitors
- Ensure all radiation safety standards and regulatory requirements are met
- Participate in regular quality assurance reviews
- Ensure proper documentation is recorded and maintained
- Assure efficient operation of the departmental workflow by performing other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
- Ph.D. or an M.S. degree in physics, medical physics, other physical science, engineering, or applied mathematics
- At least 6 years of full-time medical physics experience. Proton therapy experience is preferred
- ABR/ABMP board certification is preferred, but not required for this position
- Strong knowledge of a Treatment Planning System and Oncology Information System is required
- Minor weight lifting (i.e., to handle aperture, compensator, QA devices, etc. ~ 25 – 50 lb.) required
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for employment with the Hampton University Proton Therapy Institute, send your completed application form and current resume to:
Hampton University Proton Therapy Institute
40 Enterprise Parkway
Hampton, VA 23666
You can also email your application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org