Radiation Therapist 2
The Hampton University Proton Therapy Institute (HUPTI) is a non-profit cancer treatment center located in Hampton, Virginia that specializes in proton therapy. HUPTI is recruiting an outstanding Radiation Therapist 2 to join our team. The Radiation Therapist 2 ensures the demonstration of clinical competence, professionalism and respect of all. The Radiation Therapist 2 works closely with dosimetry, physics and radiation oncologists to provide high quality patient care.
HUPTI is the nation’s 8th proton therapy facility and the largest freestanding proton clinic in the world. The state-of-the-art treatment and research center has four gantry rooms and one fixed beam room. HUPTI has been treating prostate, brain, lung, pediatric, head and neck, breast, CNS and other cancers since August 2010. HUPTI uses IBA’s Proteus 235 proton therapy delivery system, VeriSuite for IGRT, Mosaiq Oncology Information System (Elektra), Eclipse Proton Treatment Planning system (Varian) and 4D-PET/CT for simulation (Philips).
The Radiation Therapist 2 reports to the Lead Therapist for all day-to-day technical issues, and work assignments and works under the overall supervision of the Chief Therapist.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the delivery of safe, accurate, efficient radiation therapy treatments according to the prescription provided by the Radiation Oncologist and any treatment protocol.
- Responsible for scheduling patients, maintaining coordination of treatment related activities and performing patient education.
- Responsible for orientation of new staff, and training and appraisal of therapy students.
Treatment Planning and Simulation
- Understand patient history / diagnosis
- Construct immobilization devices as needed
- Performs basic dosimetry procedures as directed by Chief Therapist and/or Lead Therapist
- Discuss treatment procedure with patient and assure his/her understanding
- Follow established department policy for acquiring digital portal images, or perform other localization techniques to verify accuracy of patient treatment position
- Accurately deliver and documents radiation treatment according to prescription
- Review charts and all treatment parameters to ensure compliance with department Quality Management Procedures.
- Perform periodic chart checks for completeness of documentation
- Responsible for quality assurance of treatment parameters and patient identification
- Work with patient, family and support services to establish a schedule that will allow the radiation therapy program to proceed smoothly, with maximum patient satisfaction
- Maintain inventory of all patient care and delivery supplies
- Join and actively participate in patient education seminars, and continuing education activities
Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
- Have a minimum of 2 years of experience as a Radiation Therapist. Preferred experience is in proton therapy.
- Be able to physically assist patients entering and exiting the treatment area, as well as on and off the treatment table (this requires the ability to lift and move)
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills
- Physical strength to lift accessories weighing up to 40 pounds
- Must be willing to work flexible hours/days depending on department needs and patient volume
Educational and Licensure Requirements:
- Must have earned an associates or more advanced degree
- Must have completed an American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT)-approved educational program
- Must possess and maintain current ARRT certification in Radiation Therapy
- Must possess a current Virginia license as a Radiologic Technologist, or obtain one upon hire
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for employment with the Hampton University Proton Therapy Institute, send your completed application form and current resume to:
Hampton University Proton Therapy Institute
40 Enterprise Parkway
Hampton, VA 23666
You can also email your application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org