Lead Radiation Therapist
The Hampton University Proton Therapy Institute (HUPTI) is seeking a Lead Radiation Therapist to work with other professionals and support staff.
HUPTI is the nation’s 8th proton therapy facility and the largest freestanding proton clinic in the world. The state-of-the-art treatment and research center has four gantry rooms and one fixed beam room. HUPTI has been treating prostate, brain, lung, pediatric, head and neck, breast, CNS and other cancers since August 2010. HUPTI uses IBA’s Proteus 235 proton therapy delivery system, VeriSuite for IGRT, Mosaiq Oncology Information System (Elektra), Eclipse Proton Treatment Planning system (Varian) and 4D-PET/CT for simulation (Philips).
Our Proteus 235 system is equipped with IBA’s universal nozzles. We are using Uniform Scanning, Double Scattering, and Pencil Beam Scanning treatment delivery techniques in our treatment rooms.
The Lead Radiation Therapist supervises staff therapists and ensures demonstration of clinical competence, and professionalism. The Lead Radiation Therapist works closely with management, dosimetry, physics and radiation oncologists to provide high quality patient care.
Under the supervision of the Chief Therapist, the Lead Radiation Therapist:
- Responsible for the delivery of safe, accurate radiation therapy treatments according to the prescription provided by the Radiation Oncologist and any treatment protocols.
- Responsible for scheduling patients, maintaining coordination of treatment related activities and performing patient education.
- Responsible for orientation of new staff and education of therapy students.
- Understands patient history / diagnosis
- Makes recommendations for treatment plans
- Constructs immobilization devices as needed
- Establishes proper patient position/immobilization based on input from physician
- Takes radiographs, appropriate measurements, tattoos the patient, records all treatment parameters in chart, completes digital setup pages and MOSAIQ treatment parameter fields, as needed
- Determines TX tolerances according to site specific diseases
- Reviews charts and all treatment parameters to ensure compliance with department QMP
- Have a minimum of 5 years of experience as a Radiation Therapist in proton therapy.
- Be knowledgeable regarding human anatomy
- Be able to physically assist patients entering and exiting the treatment area, as well as on and off the treatment table (this requires the ability to lift and move)
- Be able to successfully pass basic radiation safety training
- Be personable and present well, and demonstrate excellent customer service skills with all patients, visitors and management staff
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills
- Have successfully completed an accredited radiation therapy program and is currently certified with ARRT
- Possesses a current Virginia license as a Radiologic Technologist, or will obtain one upon hire
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for employment with the Hampton University Proton Therapy Institute, send your completed application form and current resume to:
Hampton University Proton Therapy Institute
40 Enterprise Parkway
Hampton, VA 23666
You can also email your application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org