Clinical Physicist Associate in Medical Physics
The Hampton University Proton Therapy Institute (HUPTI) is a non-profit cancer treatment center located in Hampton, Virginia that specializes in proton therapy. HUPTI is recruiting outstanding clinical postdoctoral physicists to join our Medical Physics team.
HUPTI is the nation’s 8th proton therapy facility and the largest freestanding proton clinic in the world. The state-of-the-art treatment and research center has four gantry rooms and one fixed beam room. HUPTI has been treating prostate, brain, lung, pediatric, head and neck, breast, CNS and other cancers since August 2010. HUPTI uses IBA’s Proteus 235 proton therapy delivery system, VeriSuite for IGRT, Mosaiq Oncology Information System (Elektra), Eclipse Proton Treatment Planning system (Varian) and 4D-PET/CT for simulation (Philips).
HUPTI’s Proteus 235 system is equipped with IBA’s universal nozzles. We are using Uniform Scanning, Double Scattering, and Pencil Beam Scanning treatment delivery techniques in our treatment rooms.
This position is an entry-level position in medical physics. On-the-job training will be provided. Didactic training through the Hampton University Medical Physics program is available for qualified candidates. Candidate will work within a team of highly experienced medical professionals in various aspects of radiation therapy. These include medical physicists, accelerator engineers, software engineers, dosimetrists, radiation therapists and radiation oncologists.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with other physics staff and assist in the general medical physics duties pertaining to operating a proton radiotherapy clinic.
- Perform measurements or other evaluations as necessary to ensure accurate dose delivery for proton radiotherapy treatments.
- Participate in commissioning of proton therapy equipment.
- Assist with and perform (Varian Eclipse) computerized treatment planning as needed.
- Participate in maintenance and support of proton radiotherapy and radiosurgery quality assurance programs.
- Conduct and participate in departmental research and development projects.
- Ph.D. in physics or medical physics, or an M.S. degree and two years of experience in clinical physics
- Strong communication skills and ability to work well within a team are a must for the successful candidate
- Knowledge of Eclipse treatment planning system and Mosaiq Oncology Information System is preferred
- Clinical medical physics experience in radiation oncology is preferred
- Minor weight lifting (i.e., to handle aperture, compensator, QA devices, etc. ~ 25 – 50 lb.) may be required.
Candidate may send a copy of the filled out Application Form and their resume to the attention of Dr. Vahagn Nazaryan, Executive Director, at Vahagn.Nazaryan@hamptonproton.org
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for employment with the Hampton University Proton Therapy Institute, send your completed application form and current resume to:
Hampton University Proton Therapy Institute
40 Enterprise Parkway
Hampton, VA 23666
You can also email your application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org